Wilmington, DE Car Accident Attorneys
Types of Car Accidents
An auto accident can affect your life physically, emotionally, and financially. You may be facing extensive medical bills, lost time at work, temporary or permanent disability, and more. After a car accident in Wilmington, DE, you need legal representation that will aggressively fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
Common Injuries in Car Accidents:
- Nerve damage
- Head injury
- Internal injury
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord damage
- Other serious injuries or even death
At Bifferato Gentilotti LLC,we understand being involved in a car accident in Wilmington, DE is upsetting even if the only result is slight damage to your car. It is so much more distressing if you or a loved one has been injured due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another.
We Take Car Accidents Seriously
At our car accident law firm in Wilmington, we take car accident cases seriously because car accidents are inherently serious themselves. Not only do auto accidents happen often in Delaware, but they are also likely to cause severe injuries. We hope that our tenacious representation for car accidents in Wilmington, DE will make our clients’ lives easier and help promote safer driving across the state by putting the pressure on insurance companies to reward safe drivers.
According to the Delaware Office of Traffic Safety, the first half of 2022 saw:
- 39 total traffic deaths
- 8 pedestrian deaths
- 3 motorcyclist deaths
- 27 vehicle deaths
- 1 bicycle death
Overall fatalities increased in 2022 compared to 2021 by 18 deaths in car accidents in Wilmington, DE.
Advice from Wilmington Car Accident Lawyers:
- Car Accident Cases in Delaware & Our Team
- Aggressive Negotiation For Your Claim
- Helpful Steps After an Auto Accident
- Talking With Insurers
- What We Do to Help You
- Settling Your Case
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you have been injured in a car accident in Wilmington, DE, the skilled car accident attorneys like Vincent A. Bifferato, Jr. and Jeffrey M. Gentilotti at Bifferato Gentilotti LLC can help you secure compensation.
Compensation for Car Accident Victims:
- Past & future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
We draw upon many decades of combined experience in obtaining favorable settlements and verdicts for clients throughout Delaware. We will explain your rights and the options available to you and communicate with insurance companies, doctors, and other parties as necessary to pursue your car accident case in Wilmington, DE.
Traffic accidents occur in many different ways in Delaware. Human error is the most common cause, as in the cases of distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, and failing to observe traffic laws. Other causes can include poor weather conditions, auto parts defects, and poorly designed or maintained roads.
In handling car accidents in Wilmington, DE, it is necessary to establish liability and substantiate the severity of your injuries. This is often difficult when dealing with rideshare accidents or handling cases of an uninsured driver. At Bifferato Gentilotti, we bring in top experts in various fields.
Our team consists of: trauma doctors, interventional spine doctors, surgeons, chiropractors, forensic engineers, mechanics, collision reconstruction analysis. All of these individuals can help build your case in search of the best possible settlement. Having articulate experts deliver compelling testimony about the cause of your accident and the extent of your injuries enhances your prospects for a full, fair recovery after a car accident in Wilmington, DE.
The moments immediately following a car accident are often the most important when it comes to collecting evidence to prove liability, namely that you were not liable for what happened. If you were able to do any of the following things after a car accident in Wilmington, DE, then be sure to let our car accident attorneys know. We can use the steps you took to better build your case.
- Called for emergency aid: You should always call 911 if your car accident caused someone to suffer a serious injury or scattered pieces of your damaged vehicles into the road. EMTs and firefighters can help with first aid and emergency care, and police officers can redirect traffic away from the crash site. Police Officers also verify the identity and the insurance information of all drivers involved. The crash reports made by emergency responders can be instrumental in proving liability by using a third party’s perspective.
- Took photographs and videos: The images you captured using your smartphone could be the key pieces of evidence you need later to prove liability and secure complete compensation for your damages. You can send copies of any pictures and video footage you recorded to our law firm, where we can conduct a thorough analysis and integrate them into your claim.
- Visited a doctor: It is always a good idea to see a medical professional for a checkup after being in a car accident. Your doctor can catch signs of underlying injuries early. A same-day diagnosis will also help keep your liability down by showing you took proactive steps to minimize the extent of your injuries. If you saw a doctor after your accident, then you should let our Wilmington auto accident lawyers review your medical notes for important details that can prove liability and assist when we are calculating your total damages.
Never Apologize for a Crash
You are probably a goodhearted person who wants the best for everyone, which means you might have the instinct to apologize for your accident. As strange as it might seem, you should resist the urge to apologize or say you are sorry to anyone after a car accident in Wilmington. Insurance companies will keep their ears open for apologies and jump at the chance to misconstrue your words into an admission of guilt. In other words, the more often you apologize, the more you risk being assigned an unfair amount of liability, which could reduce the amount of compensation you ultimately recover.
Whether you file a claim with an at-fault driver’s insurance company or your own, getting the compensation you deserve will be a struggle. Insurance companies, their adjusters, and their attorneys are determined to pay the minimum amount of accident compensation whenever possible, especially for serious and catastrophic claims.
Often, the insurance company’s reticence rises to the level of actionable bad faith. But even when an insurer seems to be cooperative, you will need an aggressive, experienced Delaware traffic accident lawyer from our firm to achieve the best outcome possible for your case.
It is important to have an attorney by your side who can look out for your best interests. In the case that the driver is uninsured or underinsured, the case can get even more complicated. Our team knows how to handle the insurance companies, the correct questions to ask, the tricks that these companies generally use, and how to pursue the best possible outcome.
As your chosen legal representatives for your car accident claim, we will adamantly advise you to leave all interactions and conversations with insurance companies to us. We mentioned before that insurance companies try to misconstrue apologies into admissions of guilt, but this is not the only way they can bend your words. They can use leading questions, circular logic in arguments, or plainly lie to try to get you to say the wrong thing and spike your liability.
Let a Bifferato Gentillloti, LLC car wreck lawyer talk on your behalf to avoid these common pitfalls. You can even hire us quickly after a crash and let us be the first to inform your own insurer that same day that there was an accident. While on that topic, you do need to tell your insurer about your crash, hopefully within a few hours or less. Waiting too long will make them suspicious about the details and possibly cause them to deny your claim outright.
If you do talk to your insurer, you should say and do the following:
- Instruct them to direct all future communications to your car accident attorney first, not you.
- Learn the final due date for submitting submit documents and evidence.
- Write down the name, title, and contact number of the insurance agent you spoke with along with the claim adjuster and claim number assigned to your case.
You do not want to deal with all the intricacies that come with the average car accident claim when you should be resting up. To free your schedule and allow yourself the time needed to focus on your health, come to Bifferato & Gentilotti, LLC and allow us to take the lead on your case.
To name only a few of the things our Wilmington accident lawyers can do to help progress your claim:
- Speak with any witnesses who could testify on your behalf
- Analyze evidence collected and from other sources like traffic cams
- Consult with medical experts and crash reconstructionists
- File your claim and respond to any inquiries or challenges
- Plan to mediate but prepare to litigate
- Interact with insurance companies
- Direct medical bills to the correct source of insurance
Although it is impossible to know how your case will pan out, especially before speaking with a car accident attorney, having an understanding of what to expect is helpful as you proceed. You will likely be wondering how much you can recover from the accident. In many cases, car accidents settle for an average of $20,000 to $30,000 for a moderate crash. Severe accidents typically settle for more. There are numerous factors that must be considered, however, to have a realistic perspective of what your case is worth.
It can take anywhere from several months to many years to settle a car accident case. Although minor whiplash injury claims take a year or two, severe cases can take a number of years to resolve.
In order to get the most out of your car accident claim and ensure the best possible legal outcome, it is essential that you work with a knowledgeable Wilmington car accident attorney. We can provide you with a clear perspective of what to expect as you move through each step of the case.
What Should I Expect Physically After a Car Accident?
Every accident is different and even if you have been involved in a crash in the past, you may experience some new injuries and pain that you are not used to.
- Soft tissue injuries – These are among the most common types of injuries following an accident. The most common symptom of a soft tissue injury is pain. This pain may be isolated to one point on the body, but it may also carry down to your limbs.
- Headaches – Headaches are another very common result of a car accident, but they do not always surface immediately. Do not be surprised if you wake up with a powerful headache the next morning or even days after.
- Upper Body Pain – You will also likely experience pain in your neck, shoulders, and back following an accident. In some cases, the pain may arise seemingly out of nowhere and is very common, though it still should be addressed by a healthcare professional.
- Bruising – This may also arise following the accident due to damage to your capillaries, which are small blood vessels underneath your skin. Although most bruising is nothing to be alarmed about, serious car accidents can cause damage to your internal organs. If this is the case, you should seek medical attention immediately.
Can I Get Compensation for Emotional Distress?
In some cases, you will be entitled to recover compensation for mental distress and trauma after being involved in a car accident. This will be part of the overall pain and suffering damages that you receive.
Emotional distress, or mental anguish, is when someone’s actions causes you to suffer mental harm. In order to prove that you are suffering from emotional distress, you will need to show that:
- The distress is not fleeting
- The actions of the defendant caused the distress
- The distress you are suffering is significant and substantial
How Can I Prove My Pain & Suffering After a Car Accident?
When it comes to matters of pain and suffering, you are likely wondering how to calculate the damages and prove your claim. These types of damages can be complicated and we encourage you to take action to get the legal help you need.
Pain and suffering are not precise calculations, which is why it takes a skilled attorney to help prove that you deserve compensation. As non-economic damages, there are steps that you can take to demonstrate to the insurance company or jury that you suffered emotionally and physically.
Here are some suggested steps to build a case for pain and suffering:
- Keep documents that support your case on hand, such as medical bills, records, pictures of your injuries, and psychiatric records.
- Estimate your losses – This step requires working with a professional personal injury attorney.
- File a claim for pain and suffering right away since there is a statute of limitations (time limit) on filing the claim.
- Do not exaggerate your damages but also do not underestimate them either. Consider the pain and suffering that you may experience in the future as the result of the accident
Ready to Get Started?
Our Wilmington, DE auto accident attorneys will stand by you through each step of the case. Our goal is to help you build your life back and take advantage of the resources available to you. Our car accident lawyers in Wilmington will be available to answer your questions and discuss your case throughout every stage. Contact us to schedule a consultation to discuss your Wilmington car accident case.
Brain Injury $4,500,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys secured a $4.5 million dollar settlement for a client who suffered brain injuries during the course of his employment as a result of a crane (boom lift) rollover accident.
Wrongful Death $3,225,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys resolved a wrongful death claim and obtained $3.225 Million Dollars for the family of a motorcycle rider that was struck by a commercial vehicle.
Wrongful Death $2,200,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys resolved a wrongful death claim for $2.2 million dollars.
Motor Vehicle Accident $1,600,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled a personal injury case for $1.6 Million Dollars. Our client was in a rear end accident. She suffered severe and permanent back injuries which required multiple surgeries and several years of medical treatment.
Auto Accident $1,450,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled an auto accident claim for $1.450 million dollars. Bifferato Gentilotti ’s client suffered serious and permanent injuries to her leg as a result of the auto accident.
Auto Accident $1,400,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled an auto accident claim for $1.4 million dollars. Bifferato Gentilotti’s client was injured when a trailer being pulled by a commercial vehicle detached from the vehicle and struck Bifferato Gentilotti’s client’s vehicle.
Motor Vehicle Accident $1,150,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled a personal injury claim for $1.150 Million Dollars. Our client suffered severe and permanent back injuries when she was struck from the rear in a multi-car accident on the highway. She underwent back surgery and will require future treatment for her injuries.
Auto Accident $995,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled an auto accident claim for $995,000. Bifferato Gentilotti’s client was a passenger on a motorcycle when it was struck by a commercial vehicle
Auto Accident $981,000
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys settled an auto accident claim for $981,000. Bifferato Gentilotti’s client suffered injuries that required surgery to her back and shoulder as a result of the accident.
Workers' Compensation $980,554
Bifferato Gentilotti attorneys resolved a client’s personal injury and worker’s compensation claim for a total of $980,554.00.
Our experienced team of attorneys and support staff are focused on treating each client with integrity, respect and professionalism.
Committed to Your Recovery
We take the time to understand each client’s case and insurance coverage so that we can fight for the maximum recovery available.
A Record of Successful Results
Since its founding in 1995, Bifferato Gentilotti has obtained millions of dollars in successful verdicts and settlements for injured clients.
Insurance Industry Insight
Our attorneys know how insurance companies operate and are prepared to leverage this insight to advocate for the recovery that you deserve.
Our legal team is not afraid to go to trial and protect your rights against powerful businesses and insurance carriers.
Experience on Your Side
The seasoned attorneys at Bifferato Gentilotti possess over 80 years of collective experience fighting for the injured across the state of Delaware.