Search Site

  • qI’ve had a car accident. Why do I need a lawyer?
    A: If you’ve been injured in a car, motorcycle or trucking accident, you need a lawyer to protect your rights. According to Delaware law, your auto insurance company is responsible for paying for your medical expenses and for reimbursing you for the income you lose due to disability. In addition, you also have the right to compensation for pain and suffering from the insurance company of the person at fault for the accident. You need a lawyer to ensure that your expenses and wages are paid in a timely fashion.

  • qWhen should I call a lawyer?
    A: Contact a lawyer right away if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident.As soon as the insurance companies (yours and the other person’s) find out that you have been involved in an accident, they will be looking to settle the claim as quickly and inexpensively as possible. They will want to take potentially harmful recorded statements from you, the victim, within hours or days of the accident. These statements ultimately can be used against you in determining your case. You should have a knowledgeable lawyer from the very beginning so that he or she can deal with insurance companies on your behalf and look out for your best interests.

  • qHow do I begin the process of retaining a lawyer?
    A: First, find the right lawyer. Personal injury is a complex and continually changing area of the law. You need someone who has knowledge and experience in personal injury law, and particularly in cases like yours.You need an attorney who knows and will protect your rights and will ensure that you get the maximum compensation you deserve. You should also look for someone you feel comfortable with, someone you feel confident will communicate with you and steer you through the process.

    Bifferato Gentilotti does not charge for an initial consultation for personal injury cases. Call us to make an appointment and come in to talk with one of our lawyers. You are under no obligation to use our services if you decide you do not need us.

  • qI am injured and out of work. How can I afford a lawyer?
    A: Don’t let financial concerns prevent you from pursuing your rights and getting the compensation you need and deserve. Personal injury cases are handled on a contingency basis. That means that the firm is not paid an attorney’s fee until and unless the injured victim receives a recovery. If there is no recovery, you pay no fee.Any upfront and administrative costs associated with the case are advanced by the law firm to be reimbursed at the time of recovery. Again, if there is no recovery, you will not owe these amounts.

  • qWhat if I can’t make it to the law office during normal business hours?
    A: Your lawyer from Bifferato Gentilotti will meet with you after customary business hours or on weekends if necessary to accommodate your work schedule. If you are a victim of a catastrophic injury and unable to leave your home or hospital, we will come to you.

  • qThe insurance company has offered me a settlement and wants me to sign a release form. Should I?
    A: No! The insurance company’s representatives will be persistent in their efforts to contact you and settle your claim early in the process for a small amount. In return, they will ask you to sign a release. You should not, in any case, sign such a statement.It is important not to rush into a settlement before you know the nature and extent of your injuries. Early on in the process, you have no way of knowing how long you will require medical treatment or what complications might arise. Do not sign away your rights because of insurance company pressure.

  • qThe insurance company keeps calling me. Should I call them back?
    A: No. Contact your lawyer. In order to protect your rights, your lawyer should be the person interacting with insurance companies.

  • qAt the time of my accident, my own auto insurance coverage had lapsed. Do I still have a right to make a claim against the other person’s insurance?
    A: Yes. If you were injured in an auto accident caused by another person and you have no auto insurance, the insurance company of the at-fault person is liable for expenses due to your injury. In cases such as this, the at-fault person’s insurance company is required to cover your medical expenses and reimburse you for lost wages in addition to compensating you for pain and suffering.

  • qI have been in an auto accident and I am feeling pain. How long should I wait before seeking medical treatment?
    A: Don’t wait. If you have been injured or feel any pain, seek medical attention at once, even if you do not have Personal Injury Protection on your own auto insurance coverage. The longer you delay seeking medical attention, the greater the difficulty you will have in obtaining payment from the auto insurance for medical bills related to your injury.Be sure that the doctor documents all your symptoms comprehensively, listing all of the body parts that are feeling pain. The stronger the paper trail, the stronger your case will be.

  • qMy insurance company was paying for my medical care, but they stopped because their doctor said I no longer needed it. What should I do?
    A: You do not have to stop your medical treatment. If you are still in pain and still need physical therapy or any other medical care, continue to receive it.By Delaware law, the insurance company is required to continue necessary medical treatment for two years after the accident. Your lawyer will deal with the insurance company to get your medical bills reimbursed.

  • qCan I see whichever doctor I want to for treatment after an auto accident?
    A: Yes. You do not need a referral, nor do you need the approval of the insurance company.

  • qMy insurance company says I have full coverage. Is that enough?
    A: “Full coverage” is not the same as adequate coverage. Delaware and other states mandate that all drivers must carry certain types and amounts of insurance. The amount required, however, is extremely low and is generally inadequate to properly protect you.For more information on auto insurance, see our brochure, “What Auto Insurance Companies Don’t Want You to Know.”

    At Bifferato Gentilotti, we are always available to discuss your auto insurance policy with you, to help you understand your coverage and make recommendations for how much coverage you should carry.

  • qWhat is uninsured motorist coverage, and should I carry it?
    A: Uninsured motorist/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage protects you, your family and your loved ones if you are the victim of a hit and run or are in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.Although UM/UIM coverage is optional, you should always carry it. Bifferato Gentilotti recommends that you have coverage in the amount of $100,000/$300,000 ($100K in coverage per person, $300K max. per accident). You cannot control the type of insurance the other drivers on the road have, but you can control what you have.
Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Wilmington Office
    4250 Lancaster Pike
    Suite 130
    Wilmington, Delaware 19805
    Phone: 302-429-1900
    Fax: 302-832-7540